We recommend that children have their first dental appointment by their first birthday or within 6 months of getting their first tooth. The first visit focuses primarily on a meet and greet with a brief examination and an introduction to the process and equipment for a dental cleaning. Starting early helps to familiarize the child with dental visits for a positive experience going forward.
Family Dentistry New
Maine Dentistry provides family dentistry services in Auburn, Gray, and Portland, Maine. Contact us today to schedule your appointment.
What Is Family Dentistry?
A dental practice that offers family dentistry provides care for people of all ages, meaning your whole family can go to the same location for dental care. There are some dental practices that specialize in pediatric dentistry, but after a certain age, it is then necessary to find another dentist to continue care. You may find it more convenient for your children to start at a dental practice that can see them all the way through to adulthood.
Benefits of Family Dentistry
Going to a family dentist has a variety of benefits.
- Convenience. When the whole family goes to the same dental practice it is convenient for a variety of reasons. You can make your appointments on the same day to avoid making multiple trips. You only have to provide insurance information once. And your children can continue their dental care into adulthood without having to switch dentists.
- Specialized care. A dentist who knows your dental history can provide better quality care. Maine Dentistry sees patients from their first appointment as a young child through adulthood, meaning we have a deeper understanding of our patient’s needs beyond what can be included in a dental chart.
- Familiarity. Establishing a positive feeling toward dental care begins in childhood. When a child becomes familiar with a dentist and a specific dental office, that familiarity helps them feel more comfortable and relaxed. Adults are often more comfortable going to a dentist they have a long history with.
We offer the following procedures and services:
- Cleanings. Routine dental cleanings should take place every 6 months to remove plaque.
- Oral exams and screenings. Oral examinations and screenings for oral cancer should also take place every 6 months.
- Fillings. We provide composite fillings for cavities that can be matched to your existing tooth color.
- Extractions. Teeth that are decayed or damaged beyond repair may need to be extracted. Many patients will also need their wisdom teeth extracted in early adulthood.
- Crowns. A cracked or severely decayed tooth can sometimes be covered with a crown to protect the remaining portion of the tooth and the root.
- Bridges. A dental bridge can replace one or an entire row of teeth.
- Dental implants. A dental implant is an artificial tooth root that can replace a single tooth or act as a support for a bridge or dentures.
- Dentures. Many or all of your teeth can be replaced with dentures.
These are just a few of the many dental services we offer to families. We provide whatever procedures and treatments are needed to maintain and restore your dental health.
Learn more about family dentistry.
It is not required that children go to a strictly pediatric dental practice. A family dentist has the experience and knowledge required to treat patients of all ages, including the youngest. At Maine Dentistry we include all of the fun things you may expect from a pediatric dentist.
There isn’t a definite age where a child becomes too old for a pediatric dentist. Most children transition to a family or adult dentist in their teenage years or by the age of 18. But you can switch to Maine Dentistry at any time.
Of course. We see any and all patients, not just families. There are no specific requirements to be a patient at Maine Dentistry. We welcome everyone.
Need a dentist for your family? Contact us today to schedule your appointment.